Friday, January 18, 2008

Fufilling Friday

Today was a pretty good day. I stayed within my calorie allotment(1625) even though I didn't eat particularly healthy. For breakfast I had a couple bites of my daughter's dry cereal and something else that I didn't write down but the calories totalled 150 so I know it was more than cereal. For lunch I had a burrito(280). For snack I had pretzels and dip(720). I just couldn't stop eating them and I might pay for that in water retention tomorrow. For dinner I had 2 pieces of pepperoni bread(352). That still leaves me with 123 calories left for the day, but I think I am not interested in eating anything else tonight. I will just drink my lemon water instead. I enjoy that every night as a treat instead of the same old plain water.

For exercise, I walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes. I was supposed to do strength training, but I will do that tomorrow with one of my walking videos.

I saw the doctor today and she said I am doing a good job but I might want to lower my calories to 1500. I am not certain that I can do that everyday so I will try to do it a couple times a week. Right now I am going to lessen my intake to 1500 3 times a week. And to 1600 another 2 times a week with one day of 1800 in the middle of the week. I know I was being successful my way, but I will try this for about 2 weeks and see if I can manage it. She also suggest that I eat 6 small meals a day. I kind of do that already. I think I am okay in that department. She was proud of me for what I have done so far and that I am so dedicated. She told me about a book to read and I might look for it in the library the next time I am there. I am going to get some blood work also so that she can check my levels.

An interesting thing she told me was that I should set goals based on percentages instead of pounds. So the goal is to lose 10% of your body weight in 3 months. So for example, if a person weights 170 pounds, he/she needs to set a goal of 17 pounds the first 3 months. This is so that as you lose weight, you are able to lose reasonable amounts instead of thinking you can lose 20 pounds every three months. I am going to have to look at my goal for March and see if what I set out to lose is reasonable.

If I ever have any questions about how I am doing, I feel very comfortable calling her and talking to her now that she knows what I am attempting to do.

1 comment:

SassyFitnessBug said...

That's great thing went well at the doctor's. I knew she would be pleased with what you have been doing. I don't know though - 1500 calories sounds LOW. But she's the doc - not me! I like her idea about using percentages as the goal instead of pounds. That sounds smart. I noticed on the weight loss reality shows (is it Fit Club?) they measure their success that way.

I am happy for you that you have managed to stay on the wagon this week (unlike certain people).