Monday, October 1, 2007

I am amazed at myself!

So today was the first day that I "officially" counted calories. I allowed myself 2000 calories today because I I went out to dinner. Prior to dinner I had eaten 845 calories so that left about 1150 for dinner.

Breakfast was apple cinnamon oatmeal. Lunch was a salami sandwich with mustard on wheat bread. I also had a cup of chai latte. It was about 120 calories, but worth it. I will have to buy more of that since it was the last bit of powder. When the kids came home I made a yogurt banana milkshake. It was okay, and it totaled about 105 calories. When I make it the next time I am going to use less yogurt and more milk. I had a zucchini muffin and some grapes with that for about 150 calories. I am one of those people, in case you haven't guessed by now, that needs to eat often during the day. So after calculating dinner and estimating high on a couple of things, I think I used up about 980 calories on dinner. As I see it, the total for the day is 1825. I thought that I would easily go over today since it was my first day and I was going out to dinner. I only ate about a third of my salad and about half of my dinner. Since I didn't make the food it was harder for me to estimate. I have a calorie counting book, but it is for name brand foods so I really need to get another book for every type of food.

Anyway, I am happy with the food I ate today and how my calorie breakdown occurred. Tomorrow will be a new experience because I am going to work tomorrow and not taking my calorie book. I am going to stick with an easy food day. I am back down to 1700 tomorrow, but that won't be that terribly difficult since I am out of the office for a few hours in the morning. My downfall is after about 2PM. I am going to try to drink a glass of diet soda at that time if I need it. We'll see, sometimes I get so busy I am distracted until I get home from work.

Looking forward to another successful day!

2 comments:

SassyFitnessBug said...

Good for you, dlv! I hope you like calorie counting as much as I do. I think you will be surprised at what a nice amount of food 2000/day is, especially with the healthy foods you are eating (lots of food for the calories). I bet you won't even be hungry.

There's a good on-line source too for looking up calorie values (in case you haven't discovered it already)...www.calorieking.com.

Good luck!

dlvblueyed said...

Thanks so much for the website. I think I might reduce my calories allowed to 1900 for most days and use 2000 only one day a week. I think I want to try to do one 1500 day next week. I will have to do it with lots of low cal snacks like carrots and celery...we'll see.